Monday, March 20, 2006

A new group of gamers, like a new group of co-workers

Gamers who are familiar to you become somewhat predictible. For instance, there's A. I try and avoid dice games with A; He gets upset and angry when the rolls go against him. There's Elenis, the mathematical calculator (try playing a bidding game with him). There's Mark, who is aggressive and smart (yes, you are Mark) and Emily, who is sly and sneaks undetected to victory if you let her.

The knowledge you develop about a person by gaming with them is akin to what you know about someone by working with them. You learn their strengths and weaknesses, their preferred ways of dealing with problems.

It's nice to play games with new gamers for the same reason it's sometimes nice to switch jobs: both gaming and work require new ideas to interact with to stay interesting.

I've been playing with a new set of folks in Oakland. They are quite different and quite good.

Ric (not my brother) hosts the game. He seems to have everyone but me figured out. I have the advantage/disadvantage of not being familiar to the group. In several games, it's come down to him or me. He's won each time.

Jody is kind of random. I don't think he has a solid strategy, but then he's always close.

David is slow and steady. On longer games, he seems to do well.

Jeff is very crafty. I think he should win more than he does, except that he acts like he's afraid of Ric.

Well, here's to new co-workers and new gamers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home